9/29/20 Harrisburg after action report
Considering the circumstances, this rally went pretty well.  POOFA/PA2A turnout wasn't nearly what it's been in the past, but scheduling issues probably had a lot to do with that.  I think we need to figure out a more streamlined way to comm out "secure" details, as we had 2 POOFA threads going; 1 that was the main attention grabber in the PA forum, and the other in the lounge that had the more sensitive data and was considered a more "secure" location to avoid exposing info.  

We should make the 2nd street garage our primary meet up point.  The south street garage had great proximity, but that was the only positive.  The alley ways were tight/narrow, had a lot of people loitering around that had unnerved several, and the garage overall was just super tight.  

Huge thumbs up to calzone and cruzans for bringing coffee, mcmuffins and donuts!  calzone brought 2 tables that we were able to use for food and for the setup at the steps.

Everyone was super helpful with getting materials down from the garage and helped to setup the table.  I think that all went really well and it was really a team effort.  Everyone helped with the table, talking to folks, passing out swag, etc.  We were a bit tongue tied on some "official" responses to what PA2A is and other organizational questions, which we should work on standard comms like our mission statement, etc.  Also, for the amount of gear we bring for the table, we should get some kind of wagon to lug everything there from the garage.

Other comms worked out pretty well for those that brought radios, was able to get those that needed help programming fixed up pretty quick in the garage and came in handy, despite the small crowd.

*Will add more if I think of anything else.
While I was getting nervous about the turnout when there were only 3 of us there for a while, plenty of members trickled in around 10 and we did have a nice size contingent considering we were missing many regulars.

I completely agree about the garage, Tough to find, as I passed it once and had to circle the blocks to find it, then had a minor but scrape with the super tight exit on the way out.

Something that might come in handy for future outreach at events...maybe we could develop a "how to say it" guide to get all of our members trained on getting people to come to this website, donate and join us. If we get more merch, so can send teams out into the crowd like GOA does. I made the offer to hand out some stickers around the crowd to make that visual for the media shots, but it was raining a little hard so we kept that box closed. Pens, you were away from the table getting some rain reinforcements I believe at the time. We should all be delivering the same message though.

The guys I saw manning the table while I helped for a few minutes before the speeches started (wanted to get my son up front to see and get some 2A-education), did a good job of promoting the website and soliciting donations without being pushy. Every one I saw who grabbed items gladly donated anyways.

tip: 3M tape > Duck-brand Tape. :)
(10-01-2020, 12:32 AM)pens87pgh Wrote: Considering the circumstances, this rally went pretty well.  POOFA/PA2A turnout wasn't nearly what it's been in the past, but scheduling issues probably had a lot to do with that.  I think we need to figure out a more streamlined way to comm out "secure" details, as we had 2 POOFA threads going; 1 that was the main attention grabber in the PA forum, and the other in the lounge that had the more sensitive data and was considered a more "secure" location to avoid exposing info.  

We should make the 2nd street garage our primary meet up point.  The south street garage had great proximity, but that was the only positive.  The alley ways were tight/narrow, had a lot of people loitering around that had unnerved several, and the garage overall was just super tight.  

Huge thumbs up to calzone and cruzans for bringing coffee, mcmuffins and donuts!  calzone brought 2 tables that we were able to use for food and for the setup at the steps.

Everyone was super helpful with getting materials down from the garage and helped to setup the table.  I think that all went really well and it was really a team effort.  Everyone helped with the table, talking to folks, passing out swag, etc.  We were a bit tongue tied on some "official" responses to what PA2A is and other organizational questions, which we should work on standard comms like our mission statement, etc.  Also, for the amount of gear we bring for the table, we should get some kind of wagon to lug everything there from the garage.

Other comms worked out pretty well for those that brought radios, was able to get those that needed help programming fixed up pretty quick in the garage and came in handy, despite the small crowd.

*Will add more if I think of anything else.

think we need to work on comms still. aside from the TX issues, there were some programming issues and some RX as well.
if we simplify settings and consolidate to a specific model and maybe move to [another freq] we would isolate from most of the off the shelf handhelds that people would have to interfere or monitor, baofengs aside.
that being said, we hardly needed them this time.

i don't like pushy salespeople. they make my stomach turn. never was one in my 10+years in sales.

it wouldn't be a stretch to use comms to schedule and meet our "less abled" people at a second closer deck. if need be.
if we're going to stand around for hours, no reason three people can't move from deck A to deck B to support the second "group"

pens, which deck? https://parkharrisburg.com/garages-and-lots/
alpaca, i relayed your message about handing out merch to him when he got back. but you were gone by then. *shrug* it got a thumbs up if memory serves. not a huge ordeal, this is how we learn.
re: comms - i agree, but we have a few problems that we'll need to figure out.
needing a HAM license. The frequencies Mr_Gixxer picked are specifically FMRS frequencies that don't require a HAM license to transmit on, and allows people with more standard radios to join and not *need* to buy a baofeng or equivalent. An easier simplex freq would still be searchable on a scanner, and would likely require a license. If we tried to add different rx/tx tones to stay private, that makes the programming even more complicated than it was. streaker typically has his laptop and programs over the USB cable, if someone can take point to do that instead on site if him or Mr_Gixxer aren't in attendance.

Parking garage: I meant to say the river street garage, where we were in June. https://parkharrisburg.com/garages-and-l...st-garage/
(10-01-2020, 01:35 AM)pens87pgh Wrote: re: comms - i agree, but we have a few problems that we'll need to figure out.
needing a HAM license.  The frequencies Mr_Gixxer picked are specifically FMRS frequencies that don't require a HAM license to transmit on, and allows people with more standard radios to join and not *need* to buy a baofeng or equivalent.  An easier simplex freq would still be searchable on a scanner, and would likely require a license.  If we tried to add different rx/tx tones to stay private, that makes the programming even more complicated than it was.  streaker typically has his laptop and programs over the USB cable, if someone can take point to do that instead on site if him or Mr_Gixxer aren't in attendance. 

Parking garage: I meant to say the river street garage, where we were in June.  https://parkharrisburg.com/garages-and-l...st-garage/

I can see about bringing a USB potato for chirp.